JautOGL is an experimental 3-D multiplayer racing game based on a game engine that combines three Java technologies: (i) the Java OpenGL API (JOGL), (ii) the Java OpenAL API (JOAL) and (iii) the Java NIO. In contrast to traditional game industry that is mainly based on the C++ programming language, Java emerges as a new game development platform with an applicability in resource-constrained networks and mobile environments.
JautOGL shows that a Java-oriented development approach in 3-D networking games is possible. Java performance itself is not anymore a drawback issue due to the (i) enhancements of the Java virtual machine and (ii) the integration of Java with powerful APIs such as OpenGL, OpenAL and Java NIO. This project focuses on the integration of such APIs in a Java-based game engine with the following features:
- Support of high-performance graphics using OpenGL
- Support of high-performance audio using OpenAL
- Support of real-time networking for multiple players
- Game screen management
- .OBJ and .MTL model parsing and loading
- Mouse and keyboard interactivity
- Multiple camera views
[galleria width=”580″ height=”464″]
The applicability of this game engine is studied and evaluated by building an experimental 3-D car racing game for multiple players. It has been shown that advanced complex features of commercial games can inherit the simplicity of Java development and portability of Java runtime providing new development and marketing opportunities in the competitive and rapidly growing computer game industry.
JautOGL was one of the first cornerstone efforts in Java game development and specifically in introducing and integrating the JOGL, JOAL and Java NIO APIs in a game engine.
JautOGL started as the work of my BSc thesis, featured in an article at a Java.net and presented at the International Conference on Java Technology, Jazoon 2007. It has been referenced and supported by development communities such as Java.net and some of its contributions are also referenced in the book Pro Java 6 3D Game Development.
- Evangelos Pournaras, Development of a 3D Multiplayer Racing Game-presentation at the International Conference on Java Technology-Jazoon 2007, Zurich, Switzerland, 2007 [Presentation]
- Evangelos Pournaras, Development of a 3-D Multiplayer Racing Game, BSc Thesis, University of Piraeus, June 2006 (Supervisor: Nikitas M. Sgouros, in Greek) [Presentation]
- Evangelos Pournaras, Development of a 3D Multiplayer Racing Game-featured article at Java.net, October 2006